You’re studying the net edition of STAT Overall health Tech, our manual to how tech is transforming the everyday living sciences. Sign up to get this newsletter delivered in your inbox every Tuesday and Thursday.
Tech companies go right after Alzheimer’s
The unsure upcoming of Aduhelm has left an opening for software package and gadget companies who want to deal with Alzheimer’s disease. Although pharma companies continue on to struggle with the root trigger of the ailment, clinical know-how providers can only handle the indicators, like agitation, despair, and cognitive decrease. Of program, inspite of a flurry of expense in businesses like MedRhythms, Cognito, and other folks hoping to handle the illness, none have established that they can strengthen any significant evaluate for dementia sufferers. Katie has the whole story.
5 home health tech trends to look at
Tech startups and health care incumbents alike are poised to funds in on what analysts say is an unstoppable shift from giving treatment in the medical center to aging patients’ properties. Medicare’s predicted to cover 80 million beneficiaries by 2030, and businesses are scrambling to make out the fundamental infrastructure for home health care, ranging from sturdy clinical devices supply to passive vital sign monitoring to acute treatment at the patients’ bedside. Mohana has a nearer glimpse at the home health tech trends drawing expense, including companies making the tech infrastructure to give acute care at property.
Trading nasal swabs for sensible bathrooms
Public health experts are looking for considerably less invasive, passive means to keep tabs on Covid, like wastewater checking. Scientists from Stanford suggest good bogs with computerized sample selection and diagnostics crafted-in could support make that a sustainable lengthy-expression alternative. This kind of “COV-ID” bogs could be put in in highly-trafficked community parts like malls or campuses. When a human being sits down to do their business enterprise, they can use their cell phone to scan a QR code and consent to tests. Persons could speedily get success, and public health experts could use the information to increase surveillance of the virus. Even if such a program could be formulated, it would require privateness safeguards, and there’s no ensure that plenty of people would take part. The researchers advise these types of a system could be practical past the pandemic as “a strong infrastructure for monitoring potential novel sickness.” (Sheesh. Much too shortly!)
Health tech companies raise $100M+
- Brightline, which supplies behavioral health services for youthful persons, elevated $105 million in a Collection C spherical valuing the enterprise at $705 million. The round was led by KKR with participation from GV, Optum Ventures, Oak HC/FT, and other folks.
- ConcertAI raised a $150 million Sequence C round from Sixth Street at a valuation of $1.9 billion.
- VivoSense, a startup building digital biomarkers elevated a $25 million Series A led by Perceptive Xontogeny Undertaking Fund and Debiopharm Innovation Fund.
- Jeenie, a digital interpretation platform, raised a $9.3 million Sequence A led by Transformation Money.
- Hims & Hers introduced a deal with most important care provider Carbon Health to facilitate heat handoffs when patients need to have care for additional elaborate disorders.
- Diagnostics and virtual care provider LetsGetChecked obtained genetic testing provider Veritas Genetics for an undisclosed amount of money?
- Valar Labs, an AI cancer startup, lifted a $4 million seed spherical led by Andreessen Horowitz.
- SteadyMD named Google VP of small business operations & system and business finance officer Kristen Gil to its board of advisors.
- Miruna Sasu is now the president and CEO of COTA, a true-environment oncology knowledge organization. Formerly she worked as head of scientific demo feasibility and info science at Johnson & Johnson and as head of innovation and digital health at Bristol-Myers Squibb.
What we’re examining